Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Ah, Truisms.

I'm really starting to realize the validity of the idea that you should only write what you're passionate about.

Plunk me down in the middle of a draft, two months into writing (since I have the discipline of a kitten), and I won't have the faintest idea what the career implications of this project are.

I won't remember why I started this stupid script. I won't be able to think straight about whether I could use it to whip up any interest from an agent. Or a producer. Or anyone who matters.

The only thing I'll be able to tell you is whether I'm enjoying what I'm doing. So it better be something I enjoy, or most of the motivation goes straight out the window.

There is the odd exception. Like that rom-com that I kept working on (and will continue to work on later) simply because it was such a beautiful, golden, commercial idea (with a correspondingly golden title) that I couldn't justify not finishing it. But ordinarily, I'm going to have to be really stoked about what I'm doing, or despair quickly sets it.

Which is why this book adaptation is so great. In addition to being easy to write, as I've mentioned over and over and over, it's just the kind of story I really like. It's a movie I would race to the theater to see: dark, compelling, and full of veiled metaphysical ponderings.

My only regret about writing it is that I won't be able to take any credit if it turns out to be great. All that credit will have to go straight to the author. *Sigh*

But if by some wild chance it got made, I would be so excited to see it. And that's the kind of thing to write.

3 comments:

japhy99 said...

Oh no, no, no. You'll get credit if you can adapt it into a killer script. That's freaking hard to do.

Welcome back.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.